To achieve the best results, you must be willing to form a partnership with your attorney. You can help your attorney by following these guidelines:
- Be 100 percent honest.
- Give your attorney everything, including facts you think are irrelevant, stupid, or embarrassing.
- Be prepared for your lawyer to evaluate your credibility. Only by testing your credibility and that of the defendant will your attorney be able to properly advise you about the merits of your claim.
- Discuss your goals for the case and how to achieve them.
- Listen to and be certain that you understand your attorney. Be sure to stop and ask for clarification if you don't understand something. It is critical that you understand everything your attorney tells you so that you can make informed decisions regarding your case.
- Comply with deadlines and requirements. Your attorney will expect and require a prompt and thorough response to every request for information and documents.
- Recognize that your attorney's paralegal and secretary are important parts of your legal team. Remember, they cannot provide legal advice, but they can be very helpful if you need status reports or administrative tasks completed.
This study guide has presented an overview of filing a personal injury case. If you have questions about the process, be sure to discuss them with your attorney.